Women & Theatre are working in partnership with the Birmingham Hippodrome and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum (Royal Warwickshire) in the delivery of a participatory heritage project exploring the experiences of young men and boys from Birmingham during WWI.

The project will bring together a group of 14-25 year old males to research the experiences of young recruits during WWI and share them through live performances around an old drill hall site area in Thorp Street, a temporary exhibition at the RRF Museum and this digital archive. We will be updating this blog with material as the project progresses, and hope you will enjoy an insight into the process.


We are very fortunate to have received funding for this project from the Heritage Lottery Fund, The Grimmit Trust, The Cole Charitable Trust, The Roughley Trust, The Rowlands Trust and Service Birmingham. We are also grateful to Chung Ying Garden and the Gallan Group for their permission to use the old Drill Hall site.

Thursday 10 April 2014

A view of the project from a participant


Back in November 2013, I replied to an email which was forwarded to me regarding The Chocolate Soldiers project - A Heritage Theatre Project on World War 1.

Initially, I wasn't sure what to expect, but excitedly attended the first session back in November. This gave me a chance to find out more about the project, what was involved, the dates I needed to be available, as well as meeting other participants on the project.

Overall, my experience has been absolutely wonderful! I've thoroughly enjoyed being part of the project. As well as learning about the First World War, I've had the opportunity to watch War Horse (TWICE), got to meet other students from Queensbridge School, Elmhurst School of Dance, & Moseley School, I've built on my confidence, and Oral Skills.

Being part of this project has enabled me to go out of my comfort zone and do something I previously hadn't done – theatre.  It's enabled me to broaden my horizons, work with new people, try a new experience, make new friends, and build on my skills too!

I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and it's certainly been one of my memorable experiences of 2014!  Looking back now, my initial doubts, fears, and misconceptions have been quashed.  I'm so glad I was part of this amazing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment